What effect will Mchale have on Dwight's offensive game ? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

What effect will Mchale have on Dwight's offensive game ?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

What effect will Mchale have on Dwight's offensive game ?

Postby Charles Oakley » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:40 pm

I always wondered what if Dwight actually had the ability to score with his back to the basket . Kevin Mchale's nickname was "the black hole" because when he got the ball on the block it never came back out . Is it possible at 27 years old that Howard can be or is willing to be taught a skill that would truly make him unstoppable ? Will ego get in his way ? Having Hakim as a coach won't hurt either but I sure I have read about Howard studying with Hakim several off seasons ago . Anyway it's just a random thought I was having and was wondering what you guys thought.
Charles Oakley
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Response Team
(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: What effect will Mchale have on Dwight's offensive game

Postby spud_webb_04 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:21 pm

I personally think that you can always learn stuff or work on your game, even in the later stages of your career.
Sure it he does not improve this year in that category its on him, with two of the best post up players ever around him in mchale and the dream.
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 142)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:30 pm

I don't feel McHale's past will have as much influence on his game as his new surroundings. For the first time, he's playing for a coach who is well-known for his humor + his teammates seem quite laid back. Doesn't hurt he's on good terms with a number of them and they are as talented a young bunch as he's ever been around. #1 thing for Howard is comfort and I don't think he could have ended up in a better situation.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)

Postby deadshot11 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:32 am

Dwight's always lacked offensive skill, and adding additional 'skills' will help, but with limited potential. His main problem is he has no sense of touch on his shot. He can't judge distance well. Watch him shoot anything around the rim that's not a dunk. He throws the ball AT the basket instead of up and INTO the basket. It's why anything he throws at the backboard is cringe worthy unless he hits it in exactly the right spot. If he doesn't, it's going to bounce 12 feet off the rim. He's learned touch on his free throws in practice through lots of repetition, but the fact that he can't reliably do it in games shows he doesn't have it naturally, because he reverts to chucking it up in the air with no sense of how hard/far he's throwing it.

Yes you can continue to develop and add skills as you get older, but I don't see Dwight being one of those guys. He just doesn't have the work ethic. Neither did Shaq. Karl Malone went from bad free throw shooter to great free throw shooter, but these two never could.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby bujfan2030 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:59 am

The recent game in New York was a perfect storm for Dwight's struggles. The Ref's let Bargnani be physical in the post and dwight had nothing to answer with offensively. Everything was a brick or a turnover. ..Then in the 4th quarter when the Knicks were making a run they had to take dwight out to avoid the hack-a strategy. He did end up hitting two crucial free throws, but for the most part, with Dwight being able to be single covered Houstons glorious offense wasn't as pretty.
Super Sneaky Hops
bujfan2030
Head Coach
Head Coach

Response TeamLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 96)

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers