Players coming back from injuries - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Players coming back from injuries

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Players coming back from injuries

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:24 pm

With the season around the corner I thought it was time we start projecting a few injured player's aiming to get back for the season opener.

A few that pop to mind immediately - Westbrook, Frye, Lou Williams, Kobe, Bynum, and Rondo.

How far do you think Westbrook slips, if at all in most drafts? Frye is an interesting one as I see him impacting Markieff, who I had pegged to have a bit of a fantasy break out season.

Anyway, sorry for this rambling opening post - I thought it might be a good time to start discussing some injured players and which ones you'll flat out avoid and which ones you'll be targeting in the later rounds.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 158)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Players coming back from injuries

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:08 am

Westbrook won't slip unless rather disturbing news comes to fruition. I was quite positive about Kobe until I recently read an article (posted in the Kobe thread in Leftovers) about the uphill battle he faces this year -- it's so much more than just overcoming the achilles injury. Williams, Bynum and Rondo will not be a part of any of my teams.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 706)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:21 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Westbrook won't slip unless rather disturbing news comes to fruition. I was quite positive about Kobe until I recently read an article (posted in the Kobe thread in Leftovers) about the uphill battle he faces this year -- it's so much more than just overcoming the achilles injury. Williams, Bynum and Rondo will not be a part of any of my teams.

This. ;-D

None of those last three will slip far enough for me to be willing to stash them, so they go on my ignore list. If I need a home run in the fourth I might roll the dice on Kobe, but I think all the news about him maybe playing in the opener will re-inflate his value well past what I'm willing to give up for him.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby deadshot11 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:33 am

One of the big reminders I always put at the top of my draft sheet is to only take one injury risk (either returning from or prone to) in the first 10 rounds, and never in the first 2. The only one in this thread so far that I'd be keen to paying attention to is the camp and preseason reports on Westbrook, to see if he qualifies as an injury risk, as most fully recover from his type of injury.

And I agree on the down arrow for Kobe, as big of a Kobe fan as I am. I owned Elton Brand he year he came back from his Achilles injury, and that was not a fun year. Brand's game utilized a good amount of explosiveness, even though he's a big, and he was just never the same again. Kobe's going to have to adopt some old man basketball skills, and that'll take some time, plus limit the ceiling of his production. Think Michael Jordan the Washington Wizards years.
deadshot11
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Westbrook won't slip unless some rather disturbing news comes to fruition.

My bad, y'all.

RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Happy to have snagged Reggie Jackson in a few of my leagues...

With Budinger's injury/surgery, does Derrick Williams now have some fantasy relevance backing both Love and Brewer?
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:With Budinger's injury/surgery, does Derrick Williams now have some fantasy relevance backing both Love and Brewer?

I'd go with: not likely. Adelman has already gone on record pumping up Brewer and Shved, don't forget about Dante Cunningham to relieve Love, and remember Adelman's past disdain for Williams.
RedHopeful

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:52 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Phil O'Pastry wrote:With Budinger's injury/surgery, does Derrick Williams now have some fantasy relevance backing both Love and Brewer?

I'd go with: not likely. Adelman has already gone on record pumping up Brewer and Shved, don't forget about Dante Cunningham to relieve Love, and remember Adelman's past disdain for Williams.

Then, why don't they trade the guy before he is worth even less as they continue to drive down and destroy his value around the league? It really has me scratching my head when I see teams sabotage the value of their own assets.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:

Then, why don't they trade the guy before he is worth even less as they continue to drive down and destroy his value around the league? It really has me scratching my head when I see teams sabotage the value of their own assets.

Yep, I fully agree. Enough teams would probably like to take their chances on him, but I guess MIN has been asking too much? Personally, I'd like to see him go to the Lakers.
RedHopeful

Postby Charles Oakley » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:39 am

What do you guys think about Love ( as an injury risk ) ? He missed 51 , 11 , 8 and 22 games in the past 4 years . He's hasn't been healthy during the fantasy playoffs since his rookie yr . I have the 6 pick in two leagues and I expect him to be there .

Both leagues are H2H , 9 cat ( O boards , no turnovers ) the other league is a 11 cat , imagine a 9 cat plus dble -dble and 3 point %.
I can easily see our draft going KD , Bron , Harden , Curry , CP3 . So getting back to my question would you take Love here and if not him then who ? Thanks , Oak
Charles Oakley
Playground Pundit
Playground Pundit

Response Team
(Past Year: 35)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers