Off-Season Recap

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Off-Season Recap

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:04 pm

1) Best signing
2) Best value signing
3) Best rookie pick
4) Best trade
5) Worst signing (aka who was handed a "Calderon")
6) Which teams will finish in the top 3...
7) Which teams will finish in the bottom 3...
8) Which team is best positioned for the future...
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Off-Season Recap

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:20 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:1) Best signing
2) Best value signing
3) Best rookie pick
4) Best trade

1) Derrick Rose. Considering the other top-flight options receiving upwards of 25M, to sign a potential top 5 performer for 15M is a worth the risk.
2) Deron Williams and Rose. Despite balky ankles, Deron should have earned more than 12M.
3) Oladipo and McCollum.
4) SoTex Batum trade. Really like Batum but to get a first rounder, Green and Klay back in the deal is a solid get. Win-win.
5) Aldridge.
6) Rob, hichi, dc
7) Me, cap and nsink
8) scully
RocketsDWM
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 144)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scully19 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:53 pm

1) I'm with Derrick Rose too, I wanted to bid more, was in the bidding, but went out for more than 12H essentially and when I came back he was sold.
2) I got a few depending on how injuries work out. I like the Bynum contract, he could be worth much more than he went for and if so he is 3 years on the cheap. JaVale McGee too, and Rose obviously.
3) I don't think this should count top picks, not hard to make those. I'm going to say Michael-Carter Williams, because he went earlier than drafted in the NBA which means a semi-reach anyways, but could be lined up for a very fast start to his career.
4) For an even win scenario, I like Westbrook for Millsap and Parker.
5) This is all going to be unanimous for Aldridge, so I'm going to mix it up and say DeMarcus Cousins. His FG% is too low for a big, and he doesn't get enough Blocks either, I'm not convinced he'll ever get in the top 30 as a player even, barring some major improvements.
6) DC and Rob are prob locks with their LeBron and Durant, last I am hoping is me, I feel a have some nice value guys right now, and would need the guys expected to breakout to do so to get me all the way there.
7) cap, Rockets (only because you put yourself there you're team must be bad), and So-Tex, whose 17.7mill in waiver fees will be extremely hard to overcome, which I'm sure is why he frontloaded Jrue so that he costs less when he actually has money to spend.
8) If future means this year and next then Rob and DC, in 4 years I will say cap. This isn't exactly a compliment tho, i just think he is going to have alot of high draft picks in the next few years.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 196)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby capoltorta » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:21 pm

I actually think it's pretty funny that you guys think my team sucks so much with 4 of my 5 starters in the top 48, and 3 top rookies behind them. I mean, I can understand thinking I overpaid for Aldridge and George, but you can't deny their talent. Bottom 3 my ass.
capoltorta
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 168)

Postby silentjim » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:39 pm

capoltorta wrote:I actually think it's pretty funny that you guys think my team sucks so much with 4 of my 5 starters in the top 48, and 3 top rookies behind them. I mean, I can understand thinking I overpaid for Aldridge and George, but you can't deny their talent. Bottom 3 my ass.

You know we start 8 right?

I think your team can be decent this season (middle of the pack), but it's all down here from there. You won't be able to re-sign Walker next season because you don't have the cap space to do so. After that you'll have 6 players at 72.5M and then two for 51M. If one or two of your rookies actually pan out into super stars, you won't be able to afford them or match their RFAs. Not to mention George and LMA are good, but not good enough to be paid that much, which means you're strapped to begin with. I appreciate you having a strategy, but I think it's extremely short sided.

The crazy part is you have a lot of picks as well, but I'm not sure you'll be able to afford paying them. You'll have to waive players or make trades which means you'll have to give up on your current rookies anyway.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 792)

Postby Da Ruhl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:56 pm

I think the toughest thing for the newbies (nykos, cap, and myself - but can only speak for myself) to understand will be how valuable depth is in this format - haven't seen a lot of 8/8 h2h leagues before.

I think cap's going one way on depth, I've seemingly been going the other. Will be interesting to see, for me at least!

-DR
Da Ruhl
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 153)

Postby nsink » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 pm

2) Best value signing
3) Best rookie pick
4) Best trade

1.) Horford
2.) a bit early too tell quite a few candidates. Such as Joe J, iaisah Thomas, Sammy D, or bigger guys such as rose, deron, jrue.
3.) a bit self congradulatory but Dennis Schroeder
4.) i like what Dennis got from Westy. Talent on fair contracts and cap space.
5.) LMA, talented but that's rich a third if cap room in one guy is risky. And everyone just watch Cousins is going to ball up. ( I hope :-o )
6) TheRobSays, Hi Chi, Scully
7) dvathurin, Sotex, rocketsdvm
8) rocketsdvm, cp3 rondo and 3 2014 1st.
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby nsink » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm

nsink wrote:
2) Best value signing
3) Best rookie pick
4) Best trade

1.) Horford
2.) a bit early too tell quite a few candidates. Such as Joe J, iaisah Thomas, Sammy D, or bigger guys such as rose, deron, jrue.
3.) a bit self congradulatory but Dennis Schroeder
4.) i like what Dennis got from Westy. Talent on fair contracts and cap space.
5.) LMA, talented but that's rich a third if cap room in one guy is risky. And everyone just watch Cousins is going to ball up. ( I hope :-o )
6) TheRobSays, Hi Chi, Scully
7) dvathurin, Sotex, rocketsdvm
8) rocketsdvm, cp3 rondo and 3 2014 1st.

Fenris, not Dennis, and I'm liking him to maybe sneak into top 3 also.
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:57 am

I like my team a lot, but I'm ambivalent about my playoff chances. I need McGee to break out a little, and I need some of the supporting cast to come through (my achilles last year was great starters and crap everywhere else). On to the question at hand though...

1) Horford
2) Hmm. Deron Williams probably, although I actually like my Parson's siging a lot. :-b
3) Carter-Williams. ;-)
4) See above for McGee. :-D The Batum deal was very solid too.
5) Aldridge
6) Dasein, scully, dc
7) Cap, and maybe Cap. :-D
8) scully for sure.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)

Postby So-Tex » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:43 am

I'll answer the full set of questions a little bit later, since there's still some auctioning to go...and you never know when another "Calderon" will present itself... }:-)

But I like the way how I've been mentioned in some of the best deals made this off-season...yet, I'm predicted to finish in the bottom three?!? :-S

Ahhhhh, ye of little faith... O:-)
So-Tex
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 217)

Next

Return to FBC Salary Cap