Off-Season Recap - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to FBC Salary Cap

Off-Season Recap

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Fenris-77, DVauthrin, dasein

Re: Off-Season Recap

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:08 am

I guess we'll see after FAs are done, but right now the question about your team is who do you have. On the league spreadsheet I see exactly four legit fantasy players on you roster right now, plus a bunch of forgettable filler. You can call out my level of faith in you all you like, but right now your team doesn't look competitive. Next year could be a very different story since you have nearly 40M in cap space, but I think this year the best thing that's going to happen to your team is a high draft pick.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 410)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby hi chi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 pm

1) Horford (think it's a good signing)
2) Deron Williams should be a steal at 12M.
3) I think getting Cody Zeller with the 12th pick could be very good
4) Westbrook trade was well done.
5) At a third of the cap, LMA is the worst, he wasn't even the best big man available. A cap killer for years to come.
6) DC, Robsays, Scully
7) Rockets, Cap, barrec
8) Rockets
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 132)

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:47 pm

nsink wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:1) Best signing
2) Best value signing
3) Best rookie pick
4) Best trade
5) Worst signing (aka who was handed a "Calderon")
6) Which teams will finish in the top 3...
7) Which teams will finish in the bottom 3...
8) Which team is best positioned for the future...

1.) Horford
2.) a bit early too tell quite a few candidates. Such as Joe J, iaisah Thomas, Sammy D, or bigger guys such as rose, deron, jrue.
3.) a bit self congradulatory but Dennis Schroeder
4.) i like what Dennis got from Westy. Talent on fair contracts and cap space.
5.) LMA, talented but that's rich a third if cap room in one guy is risky. And everyone just watch Cousins is going to ball up. ( I hope :-o )
6) TheRobSays, Hi Chi, Scully
7) dvathurin, Sotex, rocketsdvm
8) rocketsdvm, cp3 rondo and 3 2014 1st.

My team in the bottom 3? I want whatever your having, because it's some really good stuff apparently.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsink » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:21 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
nsink wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:1) Best signing
2) Best value signing
3) Best rookie pick
4) Best trade
5) Worst signing (aka who was handed a "Calderon")
6) Which teams will finish in the top 3...
7) Which teams will finish in the bottom 3...
8) Which team is best positioned for the future...

1.) Horford
2.) a bit early too tell quite a few candidates. Such as Joe J, iaisah Thomas, Sammy D, or bigger guys such as rose, deron, jrue.
3.) a bit self congradulatory but Dennis Schroeder
4.) i like what Dennis got from Westy. Talent on fair contracts and cap space.
5.) LMA, talented but that's rich a third if cap room in one guy is risky. And everyone just watch Cousins is going to ball up. ( I hope :-o )
6) TheRobSays, Hi Chi, Scully
7) dvathurin, Sotex, rocketsdvm
8) rocketsdvm, cp3 rondo and 3
My team in the bottom 3? I want whatever your having, because it's some really good stuff apparently.

Your team had talent for sure. I just don't think it works together curry and Howard and will necessitate a blow up and rebuild.i could easily be wrong but curry and Howard seem like complete opposite fantasy players. And both have injury risk
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

(Past Year: 116)

Postby nsink » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Has not had. On a pre talent basis your team isn't bottom 3. I just don't think it's a good fit with team strengths. But I've been wrong before wouldn't be anything new
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

Postby DVauthrin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:36 pm

nsink wrote:Has not had. On a pre talent basis your team isn't bottom 3. I just don't think it's a good fit with team strengths. But I've been wrong before wouldn't be anything new

Curry and Howard oddly enough, make a great pair. Curry ends up inside the top 5 even by punting FT% and turnovers, and dwight is top 3 when you do.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby scully19 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:58 pm

That makes an interesting point actually. I've run this punting FT% Dwight Howard team before (actually currently am in a different keeper league) and I find that if you stick to guys who are bad at FT%, you generally have to punt 3's as well because they usually suck with that cat too. Having Curry would seemingly eliminate, or at least reel that problem in big time (although it'll be hard to find other players to go with this strategy.

I'm also enjoying the controversy this thread seems to be brewing up for a chirp show. Should make for an interesting year.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)

Postby nsink » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 am

scully19 wrote:That makes an interesting point actually. I've run this punting FT% Dwight Howard team before (actually currently am in a different keeper league) and I find that if you stick to guys who are bad at FT%, you generally have to punt 3's as well because they usually suck with that cat too. Having Curry would seemingly eliminate, or at least reel that problem in big time (although it'll be hard to find other players to go with this strategy.

I'm also enjoying the controversy this thread seems to be brewing up for a chirp show. Should make for an interesting year.

I guess I could see that. But I was more thinking who complements the stars with so much dough on those two. I guess your going Eric g helps with the threes and deandre with the boards and blocks. Vasquez with assists. Definately doable but seems precarious to me. 2 stats already punting then only 2 deep at some of the rest. But then again in a league like this stars rule and those are two of the biggest on the game
nsink
College Captain
College Captain

Postby scully19 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:16 am

I'm not arguing at all the mark against, in that he shot 90% from the line is kinda a wasted good stat for Curry, he just makes a good connection for Dwight in avoiding the other downfall of a bad FT% team which is a bad 3's team. Usually Dwight is paired with someone like Rondo at the point if possible, but clearly that exacerbates the problem from 3. Curry is ranked 4th with FT% and 5th without it. His value goes from a .78 to a .69 in BBM, so there is a drop in overall value for Curry, but not enough to be a waste of a player, while being one of the best in the league at 3's those 2 can start being paired with more desolate 3 point and FT shooters and come out ok. Really just needs to add 1 or 2 more 3 point sharpshooters now to save that cat.

Eric Gordon does take a bigger hit in that he is more in the middle of the pack and thus easier to shift down, and he takes more FT shots. Battier works on this team fantastic, he shots a ton of 3's and next to no FT%, so even tho his is good he is also statistically irrelevant from that spot, so there's his second 3 sniper. Once he adds guys like Jordan (that he got from me) he has way more value on his team than mine. Frankly the more I examine his team right now, the more I like it, I will be stealing some of his players for my keeper league. The nice thing about a bad FT% team is you get great value big men at the bottom and always save your cheap pickups for then (Bismack, Perkins). Both take a pretty decent spike up playing on this team and he got them for nothing (Bismack will clearly be more so of a bump if he gets his minutes). I'll be watching this team this year, interested to see how it turns out.
scully19
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 197)

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:28 am

nsink wrote:
scully19 wrote:That makes an interesting point actually. I've run this punting FT% Dwight Howard team before (actually currently am in a different keeper league) and I find that if you stick to guys who are bad at FT%, you generally have to punt 3's as well because they usually suck with that cat too. Having Curry would seemingly eliminate, or at least reel that problem in big time (although it'll be hard to find other players to go with this strategy.

I guess I could see that. But I was more thinking who complements the stars with so much dough on those two. I guess your going Eric g helps with the threes and deandre with the boards and blocks. Vasquez with assists. Definately doable but seems precarious to me. 2 stats already punting then only 2 deep at some of the rest. But then again in a league like this stars rule and those are two of the biggest on the game

In a deep league like this it's about finding those role players that fit.

Assists: Curry and Vazquez, with Bradley, Gordon, and Ridnour contributing
Boards: Howard, Jordan, Bynum, Tristan Thompson, Perkins, Biyombo
Blocks: Howard, Bynum, Jordan, Biyombo, Perkins, Battier
Steals: Curry, Gordon, Howard, Bradley
Threes: Curry, Battier, Dunleavy, Gordon, Caron Butler, and guys like Ridnour, Bradley and Vazquez will chip in.
Points: Curry, Howard, Gordon, Vazquez, Bynum, with guys like Butler, Bradley and thompson chipping in.
FG% the only guy that is an issue is Gordon, but if he shoots more like his career avg than 40% , i'm good.

I may not have a ton of big names but the guys I do have fill designed roles on my team. Part of the reason I spent on bynum is because I traded for tristan thompson. If bynum is out, thompson is going to get a ton of minutes at PF. He's a Bynum handcuff.
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

PreviousNext

Return to FBC Salary Cap