What to make of JaVale McGee? - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

What to make of JaVale McGee?

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

What to make of JaVale McGee?

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey guys, I'm curious to know what you all think of McGee. Do you think he'll breakout, will he fizzle, where would you draft him in a standard 9 cat league, what type of production do you expect? Will Shaw bring out the best, or will McGee head back to the bench?

There is no question the kid has some talent, the question is will he "get it"?
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 156)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: What to make of JaVale McGee?

Postby silentjim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:04 pm

I think he's probably going earlier in most drafts than I'm comfortable with. I'd have him as a player ranked in the mid 80s and that's assuming he makes some minutes, points, boards, and blocks strides, which I'm not sure is 100% plausible. Denver is saying the right things about getting him some playing time and taking advantage of his skill set, but doing it is another thing. I'm guessing he falls more in line of a rank of 120+, but he seems to be getting drafted in the 7th round which is just too much of a gamble for me.

I think he has upside, but I don't think people are doing his projections enough to actual compare him to other players and see where that gets him. The blocks will be nice but his FT% is bad enough that you either need to be tanking it, or draft Harden or Durant in order to break even. JJ Hickson definitely wasn't brought in to ride the pine either and could easily outplay McGee minutes wise even off the bench.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby geodbear » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:38 pm

JaVale upside is probably top 60-70 range, so drafting him in the 7th round is dependent on how optimistic you feel about him playing 30 mpg at a consistent level. The ft% is a drag so that has to be accounted for in how he fits your team. I would consider him if he fits my team in the mid-80's. As Jim alluded to, the Denver frontcourt is full. Minutes can go to Faried, Hickson, Arthur, Mosgov, and McGee.

I think Shaw will commit to keeping McGee as the starting C, and he'll probably end up in 28-30 mpg range. I think McGee will continue to make the occasional bone-headed play. 12/9 with 2.5 blocks would be on the optimistic side, but not unattainable. I don't think he'll be a fizzle, but not a breakout either. He could help carry a team in blocks, and is likely to be a solid #2 center in 2-center leagues. It's a matter of choices. For example, I would rather be able to get Bogut in the 100's over McGee in the 80's.
Yes, Warriors sold at last!
geodbear

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 237)

Postby ggs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:44 pm

geodbear wrote: For example, I would rather be able to get Bogut in the 100's over McGee in the 80's.

i'm with this, especially since there's quite a few guys I like in the 80 range instead of going after another C.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 143)

Postby floppymoose » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:47 am

I'm a huge GS fan and a Bogut fan, and Bogut is absolutely NOT going to finish ahead of McGee in fantasy value. And I even agree with the reservations about McGee's value. Bogut is a very good player who no longer puts up fantasy numbers, and I don't think ever will again.
floppymoose
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:24 pm

DEN seems committed McGee, so I don't mind gambling on him. Good read HERE

What IS scary is how Shaw decided to start Hickson in the 2nd half over Faried...

Off topic, DEN looked really bad. They really need Chandler and Gallo to return asap; otherwise, I'm not liking their chances at making the playoffs.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 641)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:00 pm

If McGee gets 30 minutes again he will get 14 ppg, 7-8 rpg, 2.5 bpg, with a great FG% and not so great FT%. It's all about the minutes. If he gets them, he will provide the fantasy value. If he is limited like he was last year, he will just be an imagination of what could be for fantasy owners.
NikkiSixx
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 30)

Postby spud_webb_04 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:52 pm

RedHopeful wrote:DEN seems committed McGee, so I don't mind gambling on him. Good read HERE

What IS scary is how Shaw decided to start Hickson in the 2nd half over Faried...

Off topic, DEN looked really bad. They really need Chandler and Gallo to return asap; otherwise, I'm not liking their chances at making the playoffs.

Nice read, I actually own both mcgee and faried in a keeper league and it scared me too.
McGee seemed more focused to me and took some jumpers and hook shots that i hadnt seen last year.
Not saying that he is going to be fantastic but i think he will be close to three blocks a game
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 141)

Postby blitzkrieg74 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:01 pm

I think McGee is going to take over the Nuggets and lead them this year along with Faried. Wow what a defensive combo ;-D
blitzkrieg74
Towel Boy

(Past Year: 1)

Postby floppymoose » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:55 am

floppymoose wrote:I'm a huge GS fan and a Bogut fan, and Bogut is absolutely NOT going to finish ahead of McGee in fantasy value. And I even agree with the reservations about McGee's value. Bogut is a very good player who no longer puts up fantasy numbers, and I don't think ever will again.

Well I was completely wrong. Of course the injury McGee suffered has changed the landscape considerably, but even if he had been completely healthy, Bogut has been a much better fantasy player this year than I expected.
floppymoose
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers