Yahoo! Rankings - taking advantage - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Yahoo! Rankings - taking advantage

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Yahoo! Rankings - taking advantage

Postby Crippler » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:59 am

Looking specifically at Yahoo's O-rankings, where do you guys see opportunities to take advantage of managers that follow those ranks when drafting? I'm talking about guys who you think Yahoo over/undervalues currently. Maybe they're behind the times in downgrading certain players or recognizing sleepers. Maybe they're slow to react to an injury that opens up playing time and opportunity for a guy to vault up in drafts. Maybe they're failing to recognize that a player is primed for a down season or a bounce-back season.

For whatever reason, name the rankings that you think Yahoo is missing on and why.
Thanks lightningblock!
Crippler
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yahoo! Rankings - taking advantage

Postby hi chi » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:09 pm

One guy that jumps out at me is Reggie Jackson. Put up good numbers post season, good preseason, likely starter for first quarter of the year. He is down in the 200s with rank, I think he will easily crack the top 100.
hi chi
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 130)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:44 pm

If you're deciding between Favors (60th) and Valanciunas (73rd) I'll take Val every time at a round discount. I don't like Kanter at 69 much at all. I'll probably pass on Nash and Gordon at 77 and 79 too.

Drummond at 95 is great value on the right team, but a FT% punt team will probably pick him before there anyway. Marion at 126 seems like excellent value, as does Kaman at 139. Vince Carter at 162 seems like a solid gamble as well. Butler at 192 could be a real steal too, even if his game is a shadow of what it once was. Brandan Wright at 195 could be the steal of the draft in any league. Garcia at 231 could be sneaky good if he gets minutes like he did in the playoffs. Shumpert at 243 looks like a steal too. Beverly at 283 is an excellent draft and stash since he could easily outplay Lin.

There are more, I'm sure, but that's what stood out to me at first glance.
Fenris-77
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 260)

Postby bokzg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:53 pm

I like Reggie Jackson, Valanciunas and Marion at where you can draft them due to their Yahoo ranks.
bokzg
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:40 am

Fenris-77 wrote:If you're deciding between Favors (60th) and Valanciunas (73rd) I'll take Val every time at a round discount. I don't like Kanter at 69 much at all. I'll probably pass on Nash and Gordon at 77 and 79 too.

Drummond at 95 is great value on the right team, but a FT% punt team will probably pick him before there anyway. Marion at 126 seems like excellent value, as does Kaman at 139. Vince Carter at 162 seems like a solid gamble as well. Butler at 192 could be a real steal too, even if his game is a shadow of what it once was. Brandan Wright at 195 could be the steal of the draft in any league. Garcia at 231 could be sneaky good if he gets minutes like he did in the playoffs. Shumpert at 243 looks like a steal too. Beverly at 283 is an excellent draft and stash since he could easily outplay Lin.

Isn't Brandan Wright already hurt yet again?
Fantasy Sports Genie
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ggs » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Fenris-77 wrote:If you're deciding between Favors (60th) and Valanciunas (73rd) I'll take Val every time at a round discount. I don't like Kanter at 69 much at all. I'll probably pass on Nash and Gordon at 77 and 79 too.

Isn't Brandan Wright already hurt yet again?

yes sir, believe its indefinitely but will absolutely miss some games to start the season.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 133)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Patrick Beverley is probably the best value right now.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 151)

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Channing Frye, Jared Sullinger, Iman Shumpert, Patrick Beverley, JJ Redick, Evan Turner, Andrea Bargnani, Victor Oladipo. POSSIBLY Danilo Gallinari if you don't already have too many injury risks. Those are mostly late rounders but It's a lot of end of the draft value IMO.
NikkiSixx
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 30)

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:23 pm

I disagree on Valanciunas over Favors. Although I will be targeting both of them I have Favors in for a monster year.
NikkiSixx
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 30)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:40 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:

I disagree on Valanciunas over Favors. Although I will be targeting both of them I have Favors in for a monster year.

Favors tends to get in to foul trouble pretty quickly, plus he is not much of a scoring threat. Blocks and rebounds, even then I would not be shocked at all to see Kanter get more rebounds. The Raptors' brass have gone on record saying they will run the offense through Valanciunas... He shoots great percentages and should provide blocks, rebounds and some points. I would personally take Val over Favors. If you can get both - then cool.
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 151)

Next

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers