Reggie Jackson for Mayo? WHIR - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

Reggie Jackson for Mayo? WHIR

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Reggie Jackson for Mayo? WHIR

Postby shadowmoses » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:01 am

I'm in a 12 team 9 cat roto league, and I'm considering the following trade: Reggie Jackson for O.J. Mayo. I have no idea if his owner would agree to such a deal at the moment, but given his need for PG help and the number of 3pt shooters on his roster, I would except him to be open to the idea at the very least.

My roster as it currently stands:

Conley
Leonard
Holiday
Butler
Millsap
Drummond
Valanciunas
Kanter
Jackson
Harris

Oladipo
Barnes
Gallinari

I originally had CP3 and Sullinger but traded them away for the package of Conley and Kanter. Though I'm high on nearly everyone on my roster, it's obvious I need some scoring and 3pt shooting help. Mayo would certainly help with both of those needs, but I wonder if I would be selling Reggie's value short by trading him now. Given his age, the talent surrounding him, and the fact he'll still be a major piece off the OKC bench if and when Westbrook returns, might it be a better idea to hold onto him and solve my needs through other means? Or should I perhaps wait until the first few games of the regular season and move him if he has a big showing? Do you think Reggie could even land me a player like Mayo?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Will help in return (just post your link or message it to me).
shadowmoses
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Reggie Jackson for Mayo? WHIR

Postby ggs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 pm

at this point in the (pre) season, i'd be surprised if jackson can net you OJ.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 146)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Dude, you seriously undervalued CP3. Oh well. ;-7

If you can land Mayo for Jackson, do it.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 688)

Postby shadowmoses » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:59 pm

ggs wrote:at this point in the (pre) season, i'd be surprised if jackson can net you OJ.

Yeah, I was banking on the hype giving him the needed boost in value (and hoping OJ was being undervalued for his less than flashy numbers), but you're probably right. I might as well wait until the regular season to see if the hype really takes off then. If worse comes to worst, I can still hold onto him.

RedHopeful wrote:Dude, you seriously undervalued CP3. Oh well. ;-7

If you can land Mayo for Jackson, do it.

I thought I got a pretty good haul for him at the time but now that you mention it, I guess I could've gotten more bang for my buck. It's weird because I'm usually a very patient negotiator in fantasy, willing to go back and forth with an owner until I've squeezed out every last bit of value in a deal. In this instance, I let my love for Kanter make me a bit too trigger happy. I think it's also because of the differences in value between fantasy baseball and basketball. Having only played the former before this, first round talent is obviously significant, but there isn't that clear distinction between the picks after Trout/Cabrera and those to follow in the second and third rounds. What I've come to notice in basketball is that even after Lebron and Durant, picks 3-8 hold significantly more value than, say, picks 15-20.The way I saw it, I was shipping off a #4 or #5 pick for a #20 pick and a #50 pick (my own projections for their respective values). Now I see that such a way of thinking is flawed in its logic.

After all these years of frustrated efforts in trying to negotiate with stubborn baseball owners, it looks like I've swung the other way and sold my own effort short. Oh well, all part of the learning process I suppose.

What do you think would have been reasonable value for CP3 in terms of a pair of starters?
shadowmoses
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby ggs » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 pm

shadowmoses wrote:What do you think would have been reasonable value for CP3 in terms of a pair of starters?

irrelevant now but i wouldn't have traded CP unless I got back another first rounder + change.
ggs
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 146)

Postby Yilun » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:42 am

OJ has ultimate green lights in MIL this season so I would definitely go for it if the offer is still on the table.

And yes - agreed that you could have gotten another 1st rounder back for CP3's value. But oh well, just hope that Kanter lives up to the hype this season ;-)
*rocking the new blamer sig*
Yilun
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Location: The confines of reality are too grand for my imaginative capacity

Postby trevizzle » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:20 am

If I had OJ, there's zero chance I'd swap him for Reggie Jackson.

And that CP3 trade might have been a bit short sited...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74728
trevizzle
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 6)

Postby shadowmoses » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:54 pm

trevizzle wrote:If I had OJ, there's zero chance I'd swap him for Reggie Jackson.

And that CP3 trade might have been a bit short sited...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74728

Indeed it was. A classic case of getting too caught up in getting one particular player (Kanter) and losing sight of the other's true value. Though if Conley and Kanter live up to my expectations, it may help to lessen the sting of CP3's forthcoming great season.
shadowmoses
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions