Waiver Advice. Need a C - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions

Waiver Advice. Need a C

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Waiver Advice. Need a C

Postby sarcasmo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 pm

I'm in a Yahoo Public league (9 cat, H2H) and some interesting names just go dropped to the waiver wire. I only have two Centers, so I'm hoping one of these guys helps me out. Looking for advice as to who to drop for one of them (or maybe even two of them).

Ryan Anderson, Dalembert, and Olynyk.

I know Anderson isn't the prototypical C, but he qualifies there and he had a pretty good year last year. I like Olynyk better than Dalembert, but to me Anderson is clearly better than both. I have Howard and Varejao at C, so I'm pretty worried I will need a backup at some point. Who to drop is the bigger question.

My team:
PG: Bledsoe
SG: Harden
G: Batum
SF: W.Matthews
PF: Nowitzki
F: Deng
C: Howard, Varejao
Util: George Hill
Util: Reggie Jackson
Bench: IT2, Kev.Martin, Kirilenko

I'm leaning toward Martin since he really only offers Points and is coming off Achilles surgery. Kirilenko would be second on my list, but he does fill out the stats nicely. I don't want to drop Jackson or IT2 yet since they are my lottery tickets right now. Any thoughts?

I haven't really analysed my team yet, so I'm not sure what cats I'm punting. Likely FT% thanks to Howard and TO due to Howard and Harden (and my host of PGs). Varejao really scares me. I feel like I need another C so I can get credit for all 164 games there.
sarcasmo
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Waiver Advice. Need a C

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:58 pm

Pick up Ryan Anderson for IT2, like yesterday!!!
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 708)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby sarcasmo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. So in your opinion, Martin and Kirelenko are much more valuable than IT2's potential? Sounds reasonable to me.

Would it be worth dropping Martin for Olynyk?

BTW, the players are on waivers and I'm #10 so someone could easily snatch Anderson away. Would Olynyk be better than IT2?
sarcasmo
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby The Thrill » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Agreed with Red. Drop Thomas and pickup Anderson. I believe Vasquez presence this year will hurt IT2's value.

And I wouldn't drop Martin for Olynyk. Keep Martin. He's in a really good situation this year.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby sarcasmo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll try for Anderson. Appreciate the feedback.
sarcasmo
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby spud_webb_04 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:16 pm

sarcasmo wrote:Thanks, guys. I'll try for Anderson. Appreciate the feedback.

;-D
spud_webb_04
College Captain
College Captain

Response Team
(Past Year: 142)

Postby sarcasmo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 pm

Well, I lost out on Anderson and Olynyk so now I have to decide if I sit on IT2 or grab a backup C from the rest of the available players. I'm sure I've overlooked someone, but these are the guys I'm looking at:

Dalembert, Taj Gibson, B.Wright, Bargnani, P.Patterson, G.Davis, J.Thompson, Frye, J.Henson, Biyombo, Noel

As far as upside picks go, Gibson has been a beast this preseason and Henson and Biyombo have nice value if the starter ahead of them goes down. Frye could be interesting and Noel is a wait and see due to his injury. I feel like the rest of the guys are nothing special and could be picked up at any point if one of my C's goes down.

I'm leaning towards Gibson, Henson, or Frye. Thoughts? Go the trade route?

TIA, WHIR.
sarcasmo
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Postby The Thrill » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:17 pm

I'd wait on Frye. We're all rooting for him, but I think the reality is it'll take him a while to actually be meaningful for fantasy purposes.

Presently, I like Wright, Henson, Gibson and Patterson (of that group). And I agree with you that right now it's probably between Gibson and Henson.

Gibson is probably the smarter choice, but I'm so intrigued by Henson (and his potential) that I think I probably would gravitate towards choosing him.

I would take either over IT2.
The Thrill
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Phil O'Pastry » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:49 am

I like Henson and Dalembert... Any one know how long Brandon Wright is out for??
Phil O'Pastry
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Response Team
(Past Year: 158)

Postby sarcasmo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Phil O'Pastry wrote:Any one know how long Brandon Wright is out for??

Fractured shoulder doesn't sound good, but apparently he is day-to-day.

Henson or Gibson. Tough call. I'm leaning towards Gibson since he appears to have better shooting percentages and should produce more blocks.

Thanks again for your advice.

Just throwing this out there, but there are a few other interesting names available in free agency (non-centers). I feel like Martin has a somewhat empty stat line. With Howard, I'm likely punting FT% and I already have three guys that average over 2 3PM/gm. Martin is on my Bench and probably wont be used until Westbrook returns and Jefferson has been relegated to back-up minutes.

Seeing as how I'm pretty thin at PF (Nowitzki, Varejao, and Kirelenko), I'm wondering if dropping Martin for one of the following is a good idea: Beasley, Markieff Morris, Sullinger, Motiejunas, or T.Jones. I would like to see how the situation unfolds in HOU before jumping on Montie or Jones. Beasley could be a nice sleeper and Morris seems to be one of those guys that gives you a little bit of every stat. Sully is an injury risk who hasn't exactly been killing it this preseason.

Then again, Gibson and Henson are both (PF,C) so maybe that opens things up to any player. If that's the case, these guys are available as well: Beverley, Webster, C.Butler, or Garcia.

Yes, I have a way of over-complicating things. :-D

Something that may only be interesting to me. In my league (and I assume many others), there are 9 players with the last name Jones (Including Trey McKinney Jones). In my league, all 9 are free agents.

EDIT: Am I severely undervaluing KevMart? I guess I look at him as the Juan Pierre of basketball (good for only Average and Steals, otherwise his line is empty). I was looking at this site's mock draft and he was picked 3rd in the 7th round. Perhaps Kirelenko is a better option to drop (even if it keeps me thin at PF) after moving IT2 for a PF/C?
sarcasmo
Driveway Dunker
Driveway Dunker

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper & Waiver Questions