HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Recap of the first full slate of games :) - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Recap of the first full slate of games :)

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Recap of the first full slate of games :)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Happy Halloween to all of you, enjoy taking your kids trick or treating tonight. I'll be taking my 8 year old stepson and 3 year old nephew out tonight. :-)

On to the basketball recap for 10/30! B-)

First I want to say WOW to Michael Carter-Williams and the Philadelphia 76ers. I can't remember the last time a rookie made such an impressive debut (not to mention getting the win over the defending champs). When you think rookie debut, flirting with a quadruple double never comes to mind. :-b Typical fantasy night for Bosh and Lebron, but Mario Chalmers had a surprising night and Ray Allen looked good as usual. I could not believe the 23-2 lead the Sixers started the game with though, I was shocked to see that as I'm sure everyone else was. If Carter-Williams, Spencer Hawes and Evan Turner play like this then maybe the sixers won't be as bad as I thought.

I flipped through the games for most of the night enjoying my NBA league pass time warner cable is currently giving a free preview of (I'll probably cave in and buy it this year). Brooklyn losing to the Cavs was a surprise. It was nice to see Andrew Bynum on the court albeit in a bench role. I think the Nets would have easily taken that game if Deron Williams wasn't on a minutes restriction.

The Rockets were very impressive and I think the team is much better with Jeremy Lin coming off the bench (although we'll have to wait and see the length of Patrick Beverley's injury). Dwight Howard looked dominant, and the Rockets will be a very good team this year. I was a bit disappointed with the debut Al Jefferson, but he won't be facing Dwight Howard and Omer Asik every night.

Kevin Love looks like he is back to the normal Kevin Love just like we all expected. He will lead the NBA in 20-20 games this year by far even though he came up just short this week (I blame Nikola Vucevic and his 7'5" wing span for that). It will be interesting to see how good the Magic are when Tobias Harris and Glen Davis are healthy. A healthy T-Wolves team this year could be dangerous, I think they sneak into the playoffs this year.

Detroit was fun to watch. I thought Andre Drummond was going to see a few more minutes, but Greg Monroe took the bulk and lead the team in minutes played (and went 12-15 from the charity stripe I might add). It was good to see Chauncey Billups back with the Pistons and I thought Josh Smith looked very impressive in his debut with his new team. They had a very nice balance last night, but we will have to see if that continues when Brandon Jennings returns. The Wizards played well and stayed within reach up until the last few minutes. Trevor Ariza surprised me with a fantastic game, and John Wall and Bradley Beal showed flashes of brilliance. It'll be fun to watch them as the season rolls along.

The Celtics and Raptors game was rather boring. Kelly Olynyk didn't do much at all which was a bit disappointing. Jeff Green looked good and I cant wait for Rondo to return (Celtics fan here). The Raptors looked decent, nothing spectacular... But it doesn't take spectacular to beat the Celtics this season.

The Pheonix Suns looked surprisingly good against the Trailblazers. Lillard and Aldridge were awesome. Damian Lillard might be the best shooting point guard in the NBA right now. Eric Bledsoe was FUN to watch. Him and Dragic worked together brilliantly and Miles Plumlee was also spectacular (good job to those of you who drafted him as a sleeper, he looks legit).

JaVale McGee was extraordinarily disappointing.... He got into foul trouble in record time and continued to foul immediately everytime he stepped on the court... And that gets you 10 minutes of playing time JaVale, get your act together. I have such high hopes for JaVale McGee looking to get 30 or so minutes per game. At least we got 2 blocks out of him so it wasn't a total waste. Now that that rant is over, I want to say that DeMarcus Cousins looks like one of the best big men in the NBA. He straight up dominated. I was hoping to see a little more out of Marcus Thornton, but Greivis Vasquez and Isaiah Thomas picked up the slack. I have high hopes for Thornton this year so that was a bit discouraging to see him do basically nothing all night, but at least Ben Mclemore wasn't any better.

I apologize, I didn't get to watch EVERY game last night. :-/ But other things worth mentioning are.... When did Ryan Anderson fracture his toe? :-? Monta Ellis looks like he had a great debut with the Mavericks and maybe he will be much better here than with the Bucks. He has great potential so it was nice to see him with a good opening night. Paul Millsap also had a nice debut and I think the Hawks have a good starting lineup (but a pretty weak bench). It looks like Larry Sanders did something very similar to JaVale McGee as I'm seeing 12 minutes played but 5 personal fouls. It looks like Brandon Knight also got injured and the Knicks didn't quite run away with this one as they probably should have. Paul George looks very good and I don't think Granger is being missed at all. The Pelicans look like they could have used Ryan Anderson because only 3 players look like they showed up to play (Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon, Jrue Holliday). Also, when did Tony Allen get a 3 point shot? he knocked down 3 of them last night and Zach Randolph had an uncharacteristically quiet night as the Spurs won on a team effort. That Kevin Durant guy is pretty good and last but not least.... THIS is the Lakers I expected to see, not the ones that beat the Clippers.

Thank god basketball is back! I had a blast watching all the games last night. ;-D
NikkiSixx
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Recap of the first full slate of games

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Nice write up. ;-D

I was a little surprised about Amare not playing and Bynum actually playing. Go figure.

Ariza, Plumlee, Billups, McRoberts, PJ Tucker, Tyler Hansbrough, Alec Burks, and Francisco Garcia all look like speculative adds in deep-ish leagues and guys I'd pay attention to for sure in standard leagues (or just out right grab some of them).
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:07 pm

silentjim wrote:Nice write up. ;-D

I was a little surprised about Amare not playing and Bynum actually playing. Go figure.

Ariza, Plumlee, Billups, McRoberts, PJ Tucker, Tyler Hansbrough, Alec Burks, and Francisco Garcia all look like speculative adds in deep-ish leagues and guys I'd pay attention to for sure in standard leagues (or just out right grab some of them).

Mike Woodson actually said that he might alternate Kenyon Martin and Amare Stoudemire on a game to game basis.... meaning one would play and one would sit every night. And Kenyon Martin only played 4 minutes. I thought that was a bit interesting. I'm steering clear of both this season.
NikkiSixx
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby silentjim » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
silentjim wrote:Nice write up. ;-D

Mike Woodson actually said that he might alternate Kenyon Martin and Amare Stoudemire on a game to game basis.... meaning one would play and one would sit every night. And Kenyon Martin only played 4 minutes. I thought that was a bit interesting. I'm steering clear of both this season.

I though Amare's worst case stat line might be fantasy bench worthy, but if he sits a significant amount then yeah not at all.
silentjim

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 564)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:13 pm

Agreed, nice write-up. I'm still sour about the Pelicans losing to the Pacers, but considering we did so many things poorly, it should be ok.

If we're throwing out names, I'll also throw Jason Smith's hat into the ring. He'll have starter type minutes for at least the first few weeks of the season.
RedHopeful

ModeratorCafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 601)

Postby cnote23 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:52 pm

My Blazers lost to Plonden's stupid suns :-t %-6 on the other not lillard look like a stud Lopez looked terriable the suns Plumlee looked awsome and so did Bledsoe I was expecting a little bit more from frye haveing Plumlee play as well as he did he might not get as many min as I would expect.
Happy Holidays !!!!
cnote23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe RankerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 242)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Another guy who you might want to grab if he is available in your league is DeMarre Carroll just because he is likely to log a lot of minutes in Atlanta. Lou WIlliams is likely out for the first half and maybe then Kyle Korver will get some minutes at Small Forward....but until then it looks like Carroll has the small forward job all to himself. he could crack the top 100 this year with that kind of playing time.
NikkiSixx
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

Postby plonden » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:23 am

cnote23 wrote:My Blazers lost to plonden's stupid suns

:-D
plonden
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 51)

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers