Buy Low/Sell High/Buy High/Sell Low list - Fantasy Basketball Cafe 2014
Fantasy Basketball Cafe

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers

Buy Low/Sell High/Buy High/Sell Low list

Moderator: Basketball Moderators

Buy Low/Sell High/Buy High/Sell Low list

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Just my opinion here on a few guys I would look into trading or trading for. I won't include injured players.

BUY HIGH:

Steve Blake, PG, LAL - Steve Blake looks like he will have more than his fair share of minutes at the point guard spot in LA. Even if Steve Nash does get fully healthy again (which I doubt he will), Blake still looks like the better play. He appears to have Mike D'Antoni's system down perfectly and really is solid at penetrating and passing. He has 4 straight double digit assist games and has played under 30 minutes only 3 times this year (and never twice in a row). Even if Steve Nash does come back, Blake can play the 1 and the 2 and is also a great play for 3 pointers. Get Blake on your team for what you can and enjoy the assists and 3s.

Spencer Hawes, C, PHI - Spencer Hawes has given owners a nice surprise by averaging 1.7 3s per game so far. Yes his 3 point percentage is a bit on the high side at 46.5% and will more than likely drop below 40 percent , bringing his field goal percentage closer to 47%, but that is a sacrifice worth making. on top of making 3s and not hurting your free throw percentage, he is also averaging a double-double per game (15 and 10), and is averaging nearly 2 blocks per game. Not to mention over 3 assists per game from your center isn't too shabby either. This is no mirage.... Get Hawes on your team asap if possible. (In my money league I saw Spencer Hawes go straight up for Joakim Noah, that's a fair trade in my eyes and I might actually prefer the Hawes side of the deal this season).

Kyle Korver, SG, ATL - Kyle Korver is extremely undervalued this year in fantasy leagues. He is doing what Kyle Korver usually does (except shooting at a higher percentage than normal, but he is a great shooter and could end up finishing with a field goal percentage closer to 50% than 45%... which is fantastic considering the amount of 3s he makes). Korver is a little more than a 3 point shooter in fantasy leagues. If you look at his numbers he doesn't hurt you anywhere at all and helps you tremendously in 3s. Korver is shooting 50 percent from beyond the arc... but he is a 42 percent career 3 point shooter and has also improved pretty significantly with age. He doesn't miss very often and is a very rare example of a guy that will hit a ton of 3s and actually help your team FG%.

SELL HIGH:

Arron Afflalo, SG, ORL - Afflalo is a very solid player, no doubt about it. But he isn't this good. Tobias Harris will be back soon, and Harris will more than likely cut into Afflalo's stats pretty significantly. Glen Davis will also eventually be back and when the team is completely healthy it will be interesting to see who the big contributors are. The only constant I see on the Magic is Vucevic and that is because I think he will get his boards no matter who is on the court. On top of players returning from injury, Afflalo is also a team Orlando might end up trading at some point this year, and I don't think any team that would be consider a "buyer" by the trade deadline would be a better home for Afflalo (in terms of fantasy) than what Afflalo has going for him right now. Afflalo is a very good player, but his numbers will regulate closer to their career averages.

Jordan Hill, PF/C, LAL - Jordan Hill has been very good this season, but I in no way expect him to keep his current pace for the whole year. His 62.2 FG% will not last, and His double doubles will come fewer and further between as the season progresses. Hill can be a very serviceable this year if he continues to get the minutes, but I think right now is the highest fantasy value he will have all year and it would be smart to sell him right now if you can. I think he would be a nice "throw-in" guy to package him with someone else to get someone you REALLY want.

Jeremy Lin, PG, HOU - Jeremy Lin can play, but his value will never be higher than what it is right now (or what it was after his back to back 30 point games last week). Lin as a 6th man will score 15 or 16 points per game with a decent amount of assists and a solid amount of 3s. Lin will also kill you in turnovers and he will not continue his current rate of shooting. If you can still sell him for someone better, I would do it. His value is a tiny bit higher than last seasons because he moved to the 6th man role, but he doesn't have much fantasy value when he is on the court with James Harden. If Harden suffers an injury than Lin immediately becomes a guy you want to buy.

BUY LOW:

Kemba Walker, PG, CHA - I know some of you are thinking you wouldn't touch Kemba with a 10 foot pole right now, and I don't blame you. Not only is his FG% awful be he also is still taking as many shots as Kemba usually does. He is straight up shooting the ball horribly right now and is much closer to his poor rookie season than he was during his solid sophomore season. At least he hasnt been turning the ball over and has continued to get a lot of steals (and has actually helped in every other category outside of FG%). The reason he is a buy low is because it is widely believed he is playing through a shoulder injury (on his non shooting arm) that is greatly diminishing his shooting ability. The proof I have of that is that he seemed to have picked up right where he left off last season before sustaining this injury early on in the 3rd quarter of the 3rd game of the season. Kemba actually was 7 of 9 in the first half of the game and ended up finishing 9 of 20 thanks to his shoulder injury. He has only continued to shoot miserably since then but the cure to saving his season might only be that he needs a few days of rest. If you own Kemba I would sit tight, and if you don't then I would buy him at what I can only imagine being an insanely low price. He was shooting a total of 52.4% before the injury and 24.8% (vomit) since, you do the math.

Jonas Valanciunas, C, TOR - Valanciunas was considered a big time value pick in the 6th round this year heading into the season. Now owners seem to be willing to do anything to get him off their team (although after his last game those feelings may have gone away for many). He is not getting the minutes everyone thought he would (he's only played over 30 minutes twice this year and 1 was an overtime game), and therefore not recording the stats that were expected of him. Don't give up on him, even the Raptors General Manager knows how valuable he is to the team and has actually come out and said that everybody except Valunciunas is on the trade block. If you already bought low on him, then good for you. If you haven't it still might not be too late. He is a wonder for percentages and should get plenty of double doubles this season and a solid amount of blocks.

Tony Parker, PG, SAS - What's wrong with Tony Parker right now? Absolutely nothing. But due to his low FT% (which is certain to go up), Yahoo! has him player ranked at 137. Parker isn't doing anything wrong and isn't outside his career averages by much, but that FT% will go up and now is the time to buy Tony Parker if you can thanks to the misleading rank.

SELL LOW:

Kevin Garnett, PF/C, BKN - Garnett should probably retire after this season. He is not playing at the level we've come to expect from KG, and he isn't even getting the minutes he would usually get. He will get his fair share of rests and over 30 minutes in a single game would be a shocker to a KG owner this season. He isn't anything close to what he used to be and is nothing more than a role player at best. He is a better real life player than fantasy player thanks to his intensity and his defense, but he is a guy I would sell for anything worth having right now. Which is very possible considering his name.

Marcus Thornton, SG, SAC - Thornton was put on the bench and for good reason. He was very inconsistent and honestly to me he just looked lazy on the court. He is a decent source of 3s and will have the occasional 15-20 point game, but he isn't a guy that is going to get any better this year... At least not in Sacramento. Rookie Ben McLemore already took his starting spot, and Isaiah Thomas is tearing it up as the 6th man. Thornton will see a slight uptick in stats while on the bench due to facing other teams backups, but he is inconsistent and doesn't offer much upside with his current role.

Derrick Rose, PG, CHI - I hate to say it but I would sell Rose right now for the best player you possibly can right now. It looks like he is weeks and possible months away from removing the rust. Every time I have watched the Bulls play this year Rose seems to struggle and nothing goes his way. He is not the MVP winning D-Rose from before, at least not right now. If your team is struggling, trade D-Rose for something that will help you. I think by the end of the year he could become the player he was... but that will more than likely come post all-star break and most owners that drafted him can't afford to wait that long. If you did draft him and your team is doing well, you might want to stash him, because as I mentioned before he will more than likely eventually turn it around. His preseason hype looked promising, but it just isn't working out for Rose this year.

Feel free to critique or add your own list. Hopefully you are all doing well this year and don't need to do trades at all! ;-D
Last edited by NikkiSixx on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NikkiSixx
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buy Low/Sell High/Buy High/Sell Low list

Postby angels7777 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:53 am

Not sure on Blake, depends what you have to give up. Hawes will produce if he can stay healthy. Rose is more of a hold as he was a first rounder in most leagues. Kemba Walker is a definite buy low.

viewtopic.php?t=75233
12 team H2H non-keeper
Standard 9 cats

G- Jennings
G- Conley
F- Love
F- Turner
C- Sanders
UTL- Knight
UTL- I. Thomas
BN J. Green, T. Harris, I. Thomas, T. Jones, J. Crawford, T. Ross, Mirtza, Blatche, Marion
angels7777
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby GrubNasty » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:00 am

I moved Kevin Martin for Drummond. Although we both might have sold high?!

I'd buy low on deron Williams or rose. Worth the risk in both cases. Also agree with nikkisixx on his buy lows.

I'd sell on korver, Anderson, Webster if I owned them. I think you could get good value for them now
GrubNasty
High School Hoopster
High School Hoopster

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby angels7777 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:18 am

Rose might be done for the year.... AGAIN
12 team H2H non-keeper
Standard 9 cats

G- Jennings
G- Conley
F- Love
F- Turner
C- Sanders
UTL- Knight
UTL- I. Thomas
BN J. Green, T. Harris, I. Thomas, T. Jones, J. Crawford, T. Ross, Mirtza, Blatche, Marion
angels7777
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leftovers